Green gram dal (Pesarapappu) : 1 cup
Spring onions : 2 bunches cut into small pieces
Green Chillies : 5 or 6 cut lengthwise
Garlic : 4 or 5 cloves cut lengthwise
Salt : as required
Carrot : 1/2 grated
Raw Coconut powder : 1 tbsp
Coriander : for garnishing
Cumin seeds : 1 tsp
Mustard seeds : 1 tsp
Chana dal : 2 tsp
Urad dal : 1 tsp
Red chillies : 4 or 5 (1" pieces)
Curry leaves : 1 or 2 stems
- Bring 2 cups of water to boil in a vessel. Add green gram dal to the boiling water.
- When the dal is half cooked, switch off the stove and strain the dal in a colander.
- Heat a tbsp of oil in a thick bottomed pan and saute cumin seeds, mustard seeds, urad dal, chana dal, red chillies, garlic and curry leaves till they begin to sizzle.
- Add green chillies and spring onions and fry for 3-4 minutes on medium-high till the onions change their color.
- Add the half boiled dal and simmer for 5 minutes.
- After the dal is completely cooked, add salt and garnish with grated carrot, coconut powder and coriander.
- Can be served with chapatis or white rice.