urad dal: 2 cupsyogurt: 2 cups and little sour
green chillies: 5
ginger: one inch piece
Oil: for frying
Salt: as required
urad dal: 1/2 tsp
chana dal: 1/2 tsp
mustard seeds: 1/2 tsp
red chillies: 2 or 3 made into 1/2 inch pieces
cumin seeds: 1/2 tsp
fenugreek seeds: 1/4 tsp
curry leave: a few
- Grind ginger and green chillies into coarse paste or can cut into very tiny pieces.
- Whisk yogurt with little amount of water, the above ginger-chilli paste and salt.
- If the yogurt is not sour enough you can add some lemon juice to it.
- Heat oil in a pan and add fenugreek seeds, urad dal, mustard seeds, cumin seeds, red chillies, curry leaves and add to the yogurt mixture.
- Grind urad dal and salt to a thick paste without adding water. (Can sprinkle some water in between but try to avoid that.)
- Using oil/water shape the thick paste in the form of donut and deep fry.
- When they turn golden brown transfer them to yogurt mixture. Garnish with Coriander Leaves.
- Let vadas absorb the spices for two hours or more and serve.