Ripe tomatoes - 4
Mustard seeds - 2 tsps
Jeera - 2 tsps
Ginger garlic paste - 2 tsps
Chopped Coriander leaves - 2 tsps
Oil - 1 tsps
Curry leaves - 5
sambar powder or rasam powder - 1tsp (I prefer sambar powder)
sugar – 1/2 tsp
Hing (Asofotadia) a pinch
grated coconut : 2 tsp
Salt - as required
- Blanch tomatoes in hot water, take out the skin and mash or grind the pulp.
- Add lot of water to the pulp and keep it aside.
- For tempering, heat oil, add hing, mustard seeds, jeera ,curry leaves, once they crackle add ginger garlic paste. Fry little and add the tomato rasam to it.
- Add salt, sambar powder, red chilli powder, turmeric powder and boil well for 5-10 minutes.
- Lastly add sugar, coriander leaves and coconut powder.
- Serve hot as a soup or with steaming hot plain rice and papads. A dash of ghee in the rasam before serving will enhance the taste.
Tips :- The more you boil, the more it tastes good. You can add 1/2 cup boiled toor dal to the rasam.