What I used:
Ridge-gourd : 1
Milk : 1/2 cup (Preferably whole milk)
Chopped Onion : 1/2 cup
Chana dal : 2 tbsp
Green chillies : 6 to 7 (slit lengthwise)
Mustard seeds : 1/2 tspCumin seeds : 1/2 tsp
Urad dal : 1/2 tsp
Salt : as required
Curry leaves : a few
Red chillies : 1 or 2 (broken into pieces)
Oil : 2 tsp
How I did:
- Wash, peel and cut ridge-gourd into small cubes.
- Heat 2 tsp of oil in a skillet, add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, urad dal, chana dal and red chillies.
- When the seeds start crackling, add curry leaves and green chillies.
- Saute for a while and add onion cubes.
- Cook uncovered till the onions are half done and add ridge-gourd cubes.
- Cover and cook for several minutes till the ridge-gourd is completely cooked.
- Pour in the milk and cook for 5 minutes or more till the milk thickens. Switch off the stove and add salt.
- Serve with plain rice.