What I used:
Bottle guard : 1
Milk : 1/2 cup (Preferably whole milk)
Chopped Onion : 1/2 cup
Chana dal : 2 tbsp
Green chillies : 6 to 7 (slit lengthwise)
Mustard seeds : 1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds : 1/2 tsp
Urad dal : 1/2 tsp
Salt : as required
Curry leaves : a few
Red chillies : 1 or 2 (broken into pieces)
Oil : 2 tsp
How I did:
- Wash, peel and cut bottle guard into small cubes.
- Heat 2 tsp of oil in a skillet, add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, urad dal, chana dal and red chillies.
- When the seeds start crackling, add curry leaves and green chillies.
- Saute for a while and add onion cubes and salt.
- Cook uncovered till the onions are half done and add bottle guard cubes.
- Cover and cook for several minutes till the bottle guard is completely cooked.
- Switch off the stove and pour in the milk. Keep it untouched and uncovered on the same stove for about 15 minutes. But do remember the stove should be switched off.
- Serve with plain rice.