What I used:
Carrot : 1 large sized
Tomato : 2
Green chillies : 4 to 5
Garlic cloves : 4
Sugar : 1/2 tsp
Salt : as required
Oil : 1 tbsp
For the tadka/popu:
Hing / Inguva : a big pinch
Urad dal : 1/2 tsp
Mustard seeds : 1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds : 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves : a few
Oil : 1 tsp
How I did:
- Wash and peel the carrots. Cut tomatoes and carrots into medium sized cubes.
- Take a kadai and heat a tbsp of oil on medium flame.
- Add the green chillies and cook for a minute. Add carrot and tomato cubes.
- Sprinkle some salt which helps the vegetables to release some water and makes cooking faster.
- Cook covered till the tomatoes are soft and mushy.
- Remove the lid and cook for few more minutes till all the water released by tomatoes is almost evaporated.
- When cooled, grind the cooked mixture along with garlic cloves in a mixer grinder.
- Add sugar and adjust the salt.
- Transfer to a serving bowl.
- Heat a tsp of oil in a pan, add hing, mustard seeds, cumin seeds and urad dal. When the seeds crackle, add curry leaves and switch off the stove.
- Pour it on to the chutney.
- Goes well with dosas or idlis.