What I used:
Minumulu (Whole black gram) : 1 cup
Green chillies : 5 to 7
Ginger : 2 inch piece (chopped)
Garlic : 6 cloves
Cumin seeds : 1 tbsp
Coriander seeds : 1 tbsp (You can also use fresh coriander)
Salt : as required
Oil : for deep frying
How I did:
- Soak minumulu overnight in enough water. Next morning, wash them two to three times and strain in a colander.
- In a mixer grinder jar, take green chillies, chopped ginger, garlic cloves, cumin seeds, coriander seeds, salt and grind into a smooth paste. As the quantity would be less, it wont easily grind itself. Add a fistful of soaked minumulu which helps the grinding.
- Add minumulu and just run on pulse for two or three times.
- Meanwhile heat oil in a kadai on medium high flame.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl. Take some water in a small bowl and keep aside.
- Moisten your hands with water and take a lemon sized mixture with your right hand. Make a ball and place it onto your left hand palm and gently press and flatten it. Drop it into the oil. Similarly make few more vadas and drop into the oil.
- Deep fry till they turn to golden brown on the edges and flip them over.
- Let them fry till they turn to golden brown color on the other side too.
- Transfer to a paper napkin which absorbs the excess oil.
- Serve with tomato ketchup.