What I used:
Big sized Tomatoes : 3
Fresh grated coconut : 1/4 cup
Green chillies : 4 to 5
Garlic cloves : 4
Salt : as required
Oil : 1 tbsp
For the tadka/popu:
Hing / Inguva : a big pinch
Urad dal : 1/2 tsp
Mustard seeds : 1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds : 1/2 tsp
Oil : 1 tsp
How I did:
- Cut tomatoes into medium sized cubes.
- Take a kadai and heat a tbsp of oil on medium flame.
- Add the green chillies and cook for a minute. Add tomato cubes.
- Sprinkle some salt which helps tomatoes to release some water and makes cooking faster.
- Cook covered till the tomatoes are soft and mushy.
- Remove the lid and cook for few more minutes till all the water released by tomatoes is almost evaporated.
- When cooled, grind the cooked mixture along with coconut and garlic cloves in a mixer grinder.
- Adjust the salt and transfer to a serving bowl.
- Heat a tsp of oil in a pan, add hing, mustard seeds, cumin seeds and urad dal. When the seeds crackle switch off the stove and pour it on to the chutney.
- Serve with dosas or idlis.