What I used:
Yellow Squash peeled and cut into cubes - 1 cup
Pesarapappu (Moong Dal) - 1 cup
grated fresh coconut - 3 tbl spns
chillies : 4-5 (slit lengthwise)
garlic : 5 cloves
Salt : as required
Turmeric powder : a big pinch
Mustard Seeds 1.4 tsp
Cumin Seeds : 1/4 tsp
Urad Dal (Minappappu) : 1/4 tsp
Curry leaves : few
Red Chillies : 2 (broken into small bits)
How I did:
- Microwave yellow squash cubes in enough water for 3 minutes or until almost done.
- Moong dal should be cooked just enough and not too mushy. For that boil double the quantity of water. Wash moong dal and add to the boiling water. Partially cover with a lid and let cook for 5 to 7 minutes or until just done.
- In a kadai, heat a tbsp of oil, add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, urad dal and red chillies
- Let the seeds crackle and add green chillies, curry leaves and crushed garlic.
- Saute for a while and cooked moong dal, cooked yellow squash cubes and salt.
- Simmer and cook covered for two minutes and mix the freshly grated coconut.
- Goes well as a side dish with rice.