This is a type of upma made with rice flour and sour curds. Mom prepares this for breakfast whenever curd is leftover at home. Challa Pindi doesn't taste good if the curds are not sour enough. Here in US usually the curds won't turn that sour because we keep it in the refrigerator . Even if we leave it outside, it won't turn sour because of the cool weather. As usual I add little lemon juice to fill up that sourness.
What I used:
Rice flour : 1 cup
Sour curd : 1 cups (well whisked)
Water : 1 cup
Green chillies : 4 to 5 (slit lengthwise)
Onions : 1/2 (chopped)
Mustard seeds : 1/ 2 tsp
Bengal gram : 1 tbsp
Urad dal : 1/2 tsp
Cumin : 1/2 tsp
Turmeric : a big pinch
Curry leaves : a few
Red Chilli : 1 (broken)
Lemon juice : 1 tsp or as required (optional)
Salt : as required
Cooking Oil : 1 tbsp
How I did:
- To 1 cup of curd add 1 cup of water and whisk well. To this mix rice flour, salt and turmeric powder and keep it aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a kadai and add mustard seeds, bengal gram, urad dal, cumin and red chilli pieces.
- When the seeds start spluttering, add slit green chillies and curry leaves.
- Saute for a while and add chopped onions. Cook till they turn translucent.
- While stirring, add the rice flour mixture slowly and keep stirring till it starts bubbling. Adjust the salt if any and switch off the stove when the rice flour is cooked. Add lemon juice and mix.
- Serve hot as breakfast.