Capsicum : 2 nos. (cut into small cubes)
Peanuts : 4 tbsp (dry roasted)
Shredded coconut :4 tbsp
Garlic : 3 cloves
Urad Dal : 1 tbsp
Chana Dal : 1 tbsp
Green Chillies : 5 or 6
Tamarind : a small marble sized (soaked in little water)
Oil : 3 tsps
Salt : as required
For Popu / Tadka:
Red chillies : 4 or 5 1" pieces
Curry leaves : of 1 or 2 stems
Urad Dal : 1 tsp
Mustard seeds : 1 tsp
Cumin seeds : 1 tsp
Hing (Inguva) : a pinch
- In a thick bottomed pan, add a tsp of oil, fry capsicum pieces until cooked. Keep it aside.
- Heat a tsp of oil in another pan, add urad dal, chana dal and green chillies and toss for 2 or 3 minutes until done.
- Grind all the ingredients including roasted peanuts, coconut, garlic and tamarind except for capsicum pieces in a mixer jar until smooth. Add salt.
- Transfer the contents from the mixer jar to the serving bowl and mix in the capsicum pieces to it.
- Heat a tsp of oil in a pan, fry all the popu ingredients and pour it over the chutney.
- Can be well served with dosas, chapatis or even plain rice.