Bendakaya/Okra/Bhindi : 1 lb
Dry roasted peanuts : 2 tbsps
Red Chilli powder : 1/2 tsp
Coriander powder : 1/4 tsp
Mustard seeds : 1 tsps
Cumin seeds : 1 tsps
Split black gram dal (Urad dal) : 1 tsp
Curry Leaves : 10 - 12
salt : 1 tsp or as required
turmaric powder: 1/4 tsp
Oil : 2 tbsps
Finely chopped coriander : 2 tbsps
Fresh grated coconut : 1 tbsp
- Wash the Bhindi, pat with paper towel and let them dry completely.
- Chop the ends off and cut into 1/2" pieces.
- On medium flame, heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan, add mustard seeds, cumin seeds and urad dal.
- When they start to splutter, add curry leaves.
- Add the cut bhindi pieces. Sprinkle in turmeric. Mix them all once, allow them to cook for 4 to 5 minutes un-covered on medium heat.
- Now cover the bhindi and reduce the heat to medium-low and cook for another 4 to 5 minutes.
- Saute in between so that Bhindi doesn't burn.
- Do not over stir the bhindis, as they may breakdown and become mushy.
- Reduce the flame and add salt, red chilli powder and Coriander powder and cook until the bhindis are cooked.
- Just before switching off the stove, add the roasted peanuts.
- Garnish with coriander and grated coconut.
- Best served with rice.