Kandi pappu (Toor dal) : 3/4 cup
Medium sized purple brinjals : 5 nos. (remove the stem and cut length wise)
Tomato : 1/2 (cut into small cubes)
Onion : 1/4 (cut into small cubes)
Fresh shredded coconut : 2 tbsps
Green chillies : 5 or 6 (cut length wise)
Tamarind : 2 marble sized (Make a paste by soaking in little water)
Turmeric powder : 1/4 tsp
Salt : as required
Water : 2 cups
Mustard seeds : 1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds : 1/2 tsp
Urad dal : 1/2 tsp
Garlic ; 4 cloves (cut into thin slices)
Red chillies : 2 (broken into 1" pieces)
Curry leaves : 12 to 15
- Wash and drain toor dal in a pressure cooker.
- Add 2 cups of water along with sliced brinjals, chopped onions, chopped tomato, sliced green chillies and turmeric powder.
- Cover with lid and pressure cook to three or four whistles until dal is well cooked.
- Remove the lid after the pressure is released and add salt and tamarind paste.
- In a sauce pan, heat oil for seasoning.
- Add garlic, mustard seeds, cumin seeds, urad dal and red chillies.
- Toast until mustard seeds splutters and add curry leaves.
- Switch off the stove and transfer these contents to the dal in the cooker and mix well.
- Cook the dal again without the lid until it starts bubbling.
- Add the shredded coconut and switch off the stove.
- Best when served with rice.