What I used:
Milk : 1 1/4 cup
Unsalted Cashews : 1/2 cup
Sugar : 1/3 cup
Non fat milk powder : 3 tbs
Water : 1 to 2 tbs
Sliced almonds : few
Ghee : 1 tsp
How I did:
- Soak cashews in water for an hour or more. Drain and grind them into smooth paste.
- Combine cashew paste and milk in a saucepan and bring it to boil stirring in between.
- Make a paste by dissolve milk powder in 1 or 2 tbs of water. Add sugar and milk powder paste to the boiling milk and cook until all the sugar is melted and it comes to a boil stirring continuously.
- You can completely avoid milk powder and add 1 or 2 more tablespoons of sugar for the sweetness which it gives but the milk has to be boiled for quite a long time to thicken.
- Switch off the stove and transfer to the serving dish.
- In a pan heat a little ghee and toss the almond slices in it for a while.
- Sprinkle these almond slices on to the payasam.
- Serve as a dessert.
Sending this recipe to "Celebrate Sweets - Kheer" event hosted by Ayeesha of Taste of Pearl City started by Nivedita.