What I used:
Cantaloupe : 1/2 (Peel the skin, cut into half, remove the seeds and grate)
Whole milk : 2 cups
Non fat milk powder : 1/2 cup
Sugar : as required
Cashews : a few for garnishing
How I did:
- Mix milk powder in milk in a saucepan and bring to boil stirring in bestween.
- Add sugar to the boiling milk and cook until all the sugar is melted and it comes to a boil stirring continuously.
- You can completely avoid milk powder and add 1 or 2 more tablespoons of sugar for the sweetness which it gives but the milk has to be boiled for quite a long time to thicken.
- Add grated cantaloupe and let boil for 2 more minuts.
- Switch off the stove and transfer to the serving dish.
- In a pan heat a little ghee and toss the cashews in it for a while.
- Sprinkle these cashews on to the payasam.
- Serve as a dessert.