What I used:
Tomatoes : 3 lbs
Tamarind : 1 lemon sized
Ginger garlic paste : 1 tbsp
Red Chilli Powder : 1/2 cup or as required
Salt : as required : 1/3 cup or as required
Mustard seeds powder : 1 tsp
Mustard seeds : 1 tsp
Cumin seeds : 1 tsp
Oil : 3/4 cup
Curry leaves : a few
Red chillies : 2 to 3 broken into bits
Asafoetida : a big pinch
Turmeric powder : 1/4 tsp
How I did:
- Wash tomatoes and wipe them dry. Chop them into medium sized cubes.
- Heat 4 tbs of oil in a kadai on medium flame, add chopped tomatoes, tamarind and turmeric powder to it.
- Cook covered until the tomatoes are completely cooked. Add some salt and cook uncovered until all the water is evaporated and mixture starts leaving the kadai. Switch off the stove.
- In a pan heat the rest of the oil and add the tadka (asafoetida, mustard seeds, cumin seeds, ginger garlic paste, curry leaves and red chillies)
- When the seeds splutter switch off the stove and pour into the tomato mixture.
- Mix thoroughly. When the mixture is completely cooled, add red chilli powder, mustard powder and any salt if required.
- Store in an air tight container. Refrigerate for longer shelf life.