Who doesn't love the combination of ghee with sugar and nuts. Very simple and quick dessert yet very rich in calories and carbs. One should not compromise on using ghee, if they want to relish this dessert fullfledgely.
What I used:
Bread : half loaf (from the normal sized loaf and not from the oversized costco bread)
Milk : 2 cups
Sugar : 3/4 to 1 cup (depending on the taste)
Ghee : 3/4 cup
Cashews, almonds, raisins : each a few (though I didn't have cashews handy)
How I did:
- Cut the bread pieces into small cubes (almost 1 inch pieces).
- Heat ghee in a kadai, add the bread cubes and mix them till all the cubes are coated with ghee. You will have to do this real quick or else all of the ghee will be absorbed by the first added bread pieces.
- Fry them till they are light golden brown and pour in the milk. Stir occasionally till the all the milk is absorbed by the bread cubes.
- Add the sugar and mix thoroughly. Cook till the mixture leaves the edges.
- In a pan heat a tbsp of ghee and fry the nuts till golden brown and the raisins are puffed up.
- Transfer the halwa into serving bowl and garnish with the fried nuts.
- Serve warm and can be stored in refrigerator.