While we were on flight from Sanjose to Portland, the crew on the Alaska Airlines gave us a snack mix which included bbq soybeans. I loved them so much that I wanted to try them immediately after I landed in Portland. As I was on the verge of settling down in Portland, it took some time for me to search for bbq soybeans recipe over internet but couldn't find one. Finally I roasted them in the oven and they turned out exactly the way I tasted. Tossed with some Indian spices, these were awesome.
What I used:
Soybeans : 1 cup
Olive Oil : 2 tbsp
Salt : as required
Red chilli powder : 1/2 tsp or as required
Dhania powder : 1/4 tsp
Garam masala powder : 1/4 tsp
How I did:
- Soak soybeans to the tooth for 8 hours or overnight in enough water. Alternatively boil them in water for 5 minutes and leave them for 1 or 2 hours.
- Rinse and strain the soaked soybeans in a colander. Leave for half hour so that any water left out is strained.
- Preheat oven to 400 deg F.
- Transfer the soybeans to a bowl and mix salt and oil to them.
- Take an oven safe tray which has sides so that its easy to stir in between. Evenly spread soybeans on to the tray
- Bake for about 30 min stirring in between after every 10 min. Bake time varies on the amount of water left in soybeans. They are ready when they turn to golden brown.
- Let cool for 5 minutes and transfer to a serving bowl and toss in the spice powders.
- Serves as a nice snack. Avoid spices if doing for kids.