What I used:
Tomatillos : 4 nos.
Spinach : 3 handfuls of leaves
Tamarind : 2 marble sized (Soak in a little amount of water)
Red chillies : 4 to 5
Coriander seeds : 1 tbsp
Cumin seeds : 1 tbsp
Fenugreek seeds : 1 tsp
Salt : as required
Garlic cloves : 3 nos.
Oil : 1 tbsp
Asafoetida : a big pinch
Red chillies : 2 broken into small bits
Mustard seeds : 1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds : 1/2 tsp
Urad dal : 1/2 tsp
Oil : 2 tsp
What I did:
- Wash and drain spinach leaves. Wash and cut tomatillos into big chunks.
- Heat a tbsp of oil in a kadai on medium high flame and add cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds and coriander seeds and saute for a while.
- Allow them to splutter and add green chillies and garlic cloves.
- Stir and add tomatillo chunks and spinach leaves.
- Add salt and cook covered for about 7 to 10 minutes stirring occassionally.
- Tomatillos release water while cooking. Cook till almost all the water is evaporated.
- Let cool and grind in a mixer grinder along with soaked tamarind. Adjust the salt if any. Transfer to a bowl.
- Heat oil for tadka and add all the tadka ingredients. When the seeds crackle pour it onto the chutney.
- Serve with plain rice, roti or dosas.