What I used:
Brown Basmati Rice : 2 cups
Mixed Vegetables : 1 cup (Potatoes, carrots, corn, peas. Wash, peel and cut potatoes and carrots into small cubes.)
Onion : 1/2 (Cut into thin slices)
Green Chillies : 6 to 8 (slit lengthwise)
Chopped Coriander : 3 tbsp
Cardamom : 6
Cloves : 6
Cinnamon : 1 inch piece
Shahijeera : 1 tbsp
Ginger garlic paste : 1 tbsp
Water : 3 1/2 cups
Oil / ghee : 2 tbsp
Salt : to taste
How I did:
- Wash rice and soak for half an hour.
- Heat ghee in a pressure cooker on medium high flame, add all the spices.
- When they start to crackle, add green chillies, onions and ginger garlic paste. Saute till the onions turn translucent.
- Add the vegetables and saute for few minutes. Add chopped coriander and mix.
- Add salt and rice and combine well. Let fry for a minute and add 2 cups of water.
- Adjust the salt and cook covered with whistle for upto 3 whistles.
- Alternatively use an electric cooker. The entire process can be done using a vessel of an electric cooker. Once the water is added transfer the vessel to the electric cooker and cook till done.
- Serve with raita.