What I used:
Raw plantains (Aratikayalu) : 2 medium sized
Mustard powder : 1 tbsp
Green chillies : 7 to 8 (slit lengthwise)
Urad dal : 1/2 tsp
Mustard seeds : 1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds : 1/2 tsp
Red Chillies : 2 (broken into 1" pieces)
Inguva (Hing/Asafoetida) : 1 big pinch
Lemon juice : of 1 small lemon
Turmeric powder : 1/4 tsp
Salt : as required
Oil : 1 tsp
What I did:
- Pressure cook the plantains in a pressure cooker for upto 3 whistles.
- When cooled, peel of the skin and mash them with a potato masher.
- Heat oil in a saucepan on medium flame, add the tadka ingredients (Inguva, red chillies, mustard seeds, cumin seeds and urad dal).
- Toss for a minute and add green chillies.
- Saute till the green chillies are well fried and add the mashed plantain.
- Add salt, mustard powder and turmeric powder and mix thoroughly.
- Cook for 2 or 3 minutes. Adjust salt if needed and switch off the stove.
- Mix in lemon juice and serve with white rice.