What I used:
Senagapappu (Chana dal) : 1 cup
Baby Onions (Sambar onions) : 6 to 7 (cut the ends and peel the skin off)
Fresh grated coconut : 1/4 cup
Tamarind : 2 big lemon size (Soak and extract juice)
Grated jaggery : 3 tbsp
Green chillies : 6 or 7 (slit lengthwise)
Hing (Inguva) : a big pinch
Urad dal : 1/2 tsp
Mustard seeds : 1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds : 1/2 tsp
Red chillies : 2 (Broken into small bits)
Curry leaves : a few
Turmeric powder : 1/4 tsp
Salt : as required
Chopped coriander : 1 tbsp
Oil : 1 tbsp
How I did:
- Wash and cook chana dal in a pressure cooker for upto 3 whistles.
- When cooled drain the excess water, and mash with a pappu gutti or potato masher. With the drained water you can prepare senaga kattu.
- Heat a tbsp of oil in a saucepan, add hing, mustard seeds, cumin seeds, urad dal, garlic cloves and red chillies.
- When the mustard seeds splutter, add curry leaves and green chillies.
- Add onions and saute until the onions are turned to light golden brown color.
- Add the mashed dal, tamarind paste, turmeric powder, salt and jaggery.
- Add a cup of water , stir well and let boil for five minutes.
- Adjust the salt if needed and add grated coconut.
- Garnish with chopped coriander and serve hot with white rice.