Yellow lentils (Toor dal / Kandipappu) : 1 cup
Pickled mango pieces (Maagaya Mukkalu) : 2 handfuls
Red Chilli powder : 2 tsps or as required
Garlic Cloves : 3 to 4 (sliced lengthwise)
Mustard seeds : 1/4 tsp
Cumin seeds : 1/4 tsp
Urad dal : 1/4 tsp
Lemon Juice : 1 tsp or as required
Salt : as required
Oil : 2 tsp
- Take toor dal in a pressure cooker, wash and soak for a minimum of 15 minutes.
- Pour enough water (almost more than double the quantity) in the dal and pressure cook on medium high flame until three whistles.
- Meanwhile in a microwavable bowl, take the pickled mango pieces and pour 1/2 cup of water.
- Microwave on high for 3 minutes or until the mango pieces are well cooked.
- When the steam is released from the pressure cooker open the lid and mash the dal with a potato masher or pappu gutti.
- Similarly mash the boiled mango pieces.
- Heat oil in a saucepan, do takda/popu by adding garlic slices, mustard seeds, cumin seeds and urad dal.
- When mustard seeds splutter, pour the tadka into the pressure cooker with dal and add salt and red chilli powder.
- Boil the dal again for 5 minutes and adjust salt. If the dal is not sour enough, add some lemon juice.
- Serve hot with rice.